Lasagna is a delicious traditional Italian dish. It can be a time consuming dish with everything made from scratch or it can be purchased ready-made in the freezer section.
Most people don’t have the time to make all the ingredients for lasagna from scratch, but don’t want to purchase the ready-made lasagna. There is an alternative between the two.
Here is a recipe for quick Italian Lasagna that anyone can make.
3/4 of a pound of ground Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
3/4 of a pound of ground beef
1/3 cup finely diced red onion
2-24oz jars of ready-made sauce
1-14.5 oz can of stewed or diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 tablespoon powdered garlic
3 tablespoons parsley
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
16 oz ricotta cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
12 lasagna noodles
1. In saucepan, put ready-made sauce, canned tomato, Parmesan cheese (2 tablespoons), Italian seasoning, garlic, and parsley (2 tablespoons). Simmer.
2. Brown onions, sausage, and ground beef over medium heat. Drain. Add to sauce.
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Follow cooking directions on lasagna package. Drain and rinse with cold water. (To further reduce the time needed to make lasagna, you can use the no cook lasagna. Follow directions on the box.)
4. Combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Lay 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Put half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the lasagna noodles. Sprinkle a third of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Ladle 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers ending with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour until top is lightly browned.
7. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Serve with salad and garlic bread for a complete meal.